1. Give me THREE words that describe Sebastian and why?
1. Fun-loving: I try to have a positive outlook on life and people. It has bitten me in the ass a couple of times, but most of the time the outcomes have been positive. Being negative takes too much energy.
2. Respectful: My parents instilled this in me at an early age. Respect all people from all walks of life.
3. Caring: I am an emotional person – yes I cry at phone commercials, and this makes me feel good about humanity
2. What made you start CrossFit?
A very good friend of mine told me about CrossFit about 4 years ago. Because I was the fat nerdy kid when I was growing up, I never really participated in athletic events. I decided to try it and I love it. I am doing things that I never did when I was younger, and I really love the camaraderie of the people in the class.
3. Before joining GRCF were you nervous? If so, why?
I really wasn’t nervous more than I was anxious. I belonged to another box and it became really cliquey. I was really not included in the morning group, and it made me feel like the fat kid growing up again. My good friend told me about GRCF and suggested that I check them out. I did, and that was about 3 years ago. I love the support that I get from my CrossFit family and the willingness from the coaches to work with me given my limitations. There’s no judgement towards me, and it really helps me with my life-long goal of staying healthy.
4. How has CrossFit changed your life?
It’s taught me to not give up and to strive to get stronger. CF has taught me that if I put my mind to something I can do it.
5. What is your favorite CrossFit workout/movement? Least favorite?
Favorite is deadlift, because I can do it properly without really thinking about it. Least favorite is death by burpees. Even though I do modified burpees, it’s really taxing on the body.
6. What is one thing that nobody at the gym knows about you?
I sang back-up for Barry Manilow. Singing is one of my passions, and I auditioned and was selected to be a local back-up singer when Barry Manilow did his Bay Area tour at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos.
7. You’re on American Idol. What song do you sing?
The Prayer w/ Barbara Streisand singing the female part.
8. During your time at GRCF, what moment stands out to you the most?
It’s when my morning Crossfit family gave me a doc t-shirt and coffee mug after I earned my dissertation. Their words of encouragement and accolades really touched my heart. They are truly my 2nd family, and it’s the main reason I get up so early and come to class.
9. Do you have a childhood hero?
Batman. He had a cool car, he was slick with the ladies, and he fought the bad guys.
10. Last meal?
A large bowl of my mom’s crab cioppino and a loaf of crusty French bread.
11. What do you do for fun outside of the gym?
I love performing, and I am an avid actor/singer who performs in musical theater. Also, I love hanging out in my backyard and LOVE TO COOK!
12. Recently you participated in the GRCF nutrition challenge, and you kinda kicked ass. By eating a clean diet, how does it change your day to day life?
It allows me to have more energy and to feel clean inside as well. It also allows me to be creative when planning my meals. My wife loves my cooking and is a great taste-tester.
13. What is your Spirit animal? Why?
A gentle bear. I’m big, loud, and I lumber about. But I’m not hairy lol.
14. If they made a Seabass movie, who would play your character? Why?
John Goodman when I was big because he’s funny, caring, and good natured; and Robert Downey Jr. because despite all his challenges he still came out to be a shining star.